2018 GROW UP Cannabis HACKATHON
Official Rules and Regulations
This contest will be presented as part of the GROW UP Cannabis Confernece 2018. The Contest is designed to provide the opportunity for creators to develop new tech innovations for the cannabis industry. The winners are determined solely on skill; this is not a chance-based contest. By participating, you (or your parent/legal guardian for those under the age of 16) agree to these Official Rules.
You must be 16 years or older to enter this contest with the exception of a minor with the expressed written consent from a parent or legal guardian. This Contest is void where prohibited by law. No purchase is necessary.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE?
To participate, visit
and submit a Contest application. Participants will be selected based on the completeness of their application and the potential to impact the entertainment industry. Selected participants will be notified of their selection before Sept. 5, 2018. If you are a minor and are selected to participate, you must get written permission from your parent/legal guardian before you can participate in the Contest.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO WIN?
In order to be eligible, all applications must be submitted by Sept. 5,, 2018 and you must be selected as a participant.
Once participants are selected, each participant will be required to submit a project in compliance with the rules set forth herein. At least one member of your team must be on-site at Canadian Music Week for the duration of the Contest.
- You must write fresh, new code and put the code in a repository that our judges can review.
- You must use at least one of the APIs provided by us for the Contest.
- Your Project must be your own original work created for this Contest, except for any materials made available by us for the Contest.
- Your Project cannot have been selected as a winner in another contest.
- We, in our sole discretion, reserve the right to disqualify any Project containing racial, religious, or ethnic slurs, explicit language, obscene, defamatory, pornographic, violent, or sexual content, or libel, hate speech, references to alcohol, drugs or other illicit substances, or otherwise objectionable, offensive, illegal, inappropriate or prohibited material.
- By entering, you represent and warrant that: (i) your Project includes only material that you own or that you have permission from the copyright/trademark owner to use (including source code, user interface, music, video or images); and (ii) your Project does not contain any third party copyrighted materials, and otherwise do not violate or infringe the rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights or rights of publicity/privacy, of any third party.
WHAT ARE THE CONTEST DATES?
The Contest will begin on September 6, 2018 at 12:00pm EST and end on September 7, 2018 at or around 1:00pm EST (the “Contest Period”) and consists of the following phases:
Hackers create their Projects!
At the close of the Contest Period, judges will select finalists.
DATE(S): September 6-7, 2018
HOW ARE WINNERS SELECTED?
Judges will select finalists and winners with the highest scoring submission based on the judges’ opinions on the following factors: Impact to the entertainment industry (25%); User Experience (25%); Innovativeness (25%); Technical Excellence (25%)
WHAT ARE THE PRIZES?
Prizes to be announced.
Other prizes provided by the sponsors may be announced prior to the Contest, subject to availability and CMW approval.
After the awards ceremony, the Prizewinner(s) must agree to execute any further contracts or releases provided by Grow Up or the Contest sponsors in order to receive the Prize (collectively, “Processing”). This Processing may include tax withholdings. A Participant is not the Prizewinner until Grow Up has verified Participant’s eligibility.
If you are an international winner, please note your check may be subject to different taxes due to your country's Tax Treaty(s) with Canada.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO ALL PARTICPANTS
By participating in this Contest you (and your parent/legal guardian if required) acknowledge and agree:
- To abide by the Official Rules and Regulations;
- To release and hold harmless Grow Up Conference, and its respective, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won;
- That Grow Up Conference’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest and are not open for appeal;
- That you will not have any ownership rights in the APIs that are made available to you, but you will own all other rights in the Projects you create;
- Grow Up Conference may present, exhibit, display, or otherwise use your Project for its own promotional or publicity purposes.
- That you will be responsible for your own provincial/state federal or international tax obligations for any prizes the contestant may win, and your participation shall be subject to all applicable federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations;
- That, by entering this contest, Grow Up Conference or its partners and sponsors may use your proper name and province/state, country of residence and any photos or videos captured of you at Grow Up Conference 2018 for promotional or other purposes at any time in any media including but not limited to print or online, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law;
- That to participate in the Contest you must not be an employee, agent, or representative of Grow Up Conference or any sponsor of the Contest or each of their respective partners, divisions, subsidiaries, or affiliates;
- To not use or display any trademarks or logos owned by Grow Up Conference without prior written consent;
- That we reserve the right to modify these Official Rules at any time; and
- That GROW UP CONFERENCE, ITS PARTNERS AND THEIR SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATED COMPANIES AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, THE "RELEASED PARTIES") EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND (WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL RELEASED PARTIES BE HELD RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR THEIR OR PARTICIPANT’S USE OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED AND/OR MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE CONTEST OR FOR ERRORS OR ANOMALIES RESULTING IN THE UNINTENDED OR ERRONEOUS PARTICIPATION, AWARD OF CONTEST PRIZE OR OTHER BENEFITS UNDER THE CONTEST TO PARTICIPANTS. RELEASED PARTIES OFFER NO ASSURANCES, GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS THAT THE CONTEST WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE AND DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE CONTEST. RELEASED PARTIES ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY COMPUTER-RELATED DAMAGES INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION DAMAGE OR LOSS DUE TO DOWNLOADING THE CONTEST MATERIALS. RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE, AND ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RELATED TO A PARTICIPANT’S PARTICIPATION OR INABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST, WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARE DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL. FURTHER, BY PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST AND/OR ACCEPTING A PRIZE, YOU AGREE THAT RELEASED PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR, AND WILL BE HELD HARMLESS BY YOU AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE, INJURY OR LOSS TO PERSON (INCLUDING DEATH) OR PROPERTY DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, TO ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF PRIZE, PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITIES, RELEASED PARTIES’ USE OF ANY ENTRY OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTERED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of province of Ontario and the Dominion of Canada.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN'T RUN AS IT WAS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, bot, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled (also referred to as “force majeure”) affects the fairness and/or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change, or suspend this Contest at any time. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before it became necessary to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you or your team attempts to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest, or if we have reason to believe that you or your team have compromised the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by cheating, hacking, creating a bot or other automated program, or by committing fraud in any way, we may disqualify you/your team, and ban you from participating in any of our future Contests.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
A full list of all winners will be published on www.growupconference.com after the conclusion of Grow Up Conference 2018.